Tuesday 1 September 2015

Nutrition during Pregnancy

During my pregnancy, many people have reprimanded me and told me that I am insane. Do you believe that I did not take any supplements that my gynae recommended?

The truth is, I really did not.

Why? You may ask...



I looked at the ingredient listing at the back of the bottles of supplement.... I see synthetic chemicals... I see preservatives... And then I ask myself... Why depend on chemicals when I have access to food nutrition and it is conveniently available?

Example of Nutrition needed by the foetus

1) Iron


Iron is required to build red blood cells for the foetus. Many of the commercial iron supplements are chemically created. Overdosage of such supplements will lead to constipation.
I chose to take Vegaplex instead. It contains ABM mushroom, Maitake mushroom, Acerola cherry and blueberries, all in food form.
Excellent plant sources of iron such as ABM mushroom and Maitake mushroom are rich in easily absorbed iron and are free of side effects.


2) Proteins, Calcium and Folates

The foetus will need a lot of protein to grow and build muscles. Yes I know that I can take a lot of meat to get sufficient protein. However, animal meat such as pork and beef also contain lots of calories, fats and cholesterol. I chose to take lean protein such as egg white and soy milk.

Why lean protein? This may sound funny... But personally, I'd rather have a lean and strong baby, like Shaolin people, vs fat but strong baby... LOL!





Soy milk also contains calcium which is required for bone formation for the baby.

Even for soy milk, I choose non-GMO and organic soy. This comes conveniently as Nutrifresh and I-shape.

Folates plays an important role in the production of red blood cells and helps the baby's neural tube develop into her brain and spinal cord.


Nutrifresh contains more than 10 types of fruits and vegetables, hence a rich source of folates.






There are many other nutrients that I looked into. If you would like to know more, feel free to drop me a message / email.

Cheers! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.